[ WEBSITE ]
[ EDUCATION ]
1983-1984 Rhode Island School of Design, Providence, RI
1982 BFA, Moore College of Art, Philadelphia, PA
[ AWARDS & HONORS ]
The Arctic Circle - High Arctic expedition residency. The Arctic Circle is administered by the Farm Foundation for the Arts and Sciences.
New York State Council on the Arts (NYSCA) Film & Media / New Tech Production grant through the Experimental Television Center
Experimental TV Center Finishing Funds award, supported by the Electronic Media and Film Program at the New York State Council on the Arts
Hermés of Paris: Equipment Donation
Hermés of Paris: Production Funding
Anonymous Was a Woman Award
Residency, Wexner Center Media Arts Program, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH
Equipment donation, Panasonic (Finland)
Equipment donation, Panasonic (USA)
Residency, Wexner Center Media Arts Program, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH
Equipment donation, Panasonic (Finland)
Equipment donation, Sony Electronic, Inc
Project Grant, Art Matters Inc
Fellowship, National Endowment for the Arts
Project Grant, The Leo Model Foundation
[ SELECTED SOLO EXHIBITIONS ]
- VantagePoint IX: Janet Biggs, Mint Museum of Art, Charlotte, NC. (Upcoming: November 2010).
- No One Rides For Free, Conner Contemporary Art, Washington, DC.
- Vanishing Point, McNay Art Museum, San Antonio, Texas.
- "Vanishing Point," Claire Oliver Gallery, New York City; screened at the World Financial Center Winter Garden, 2009 River to River Festival.
- "Anana Dream," Perth Institute of Contemporary Arts-Screen Space, Austrailia
- "Tracking Up," Solomon Projects, Atlanta, GA
- "Enemy of the Good," multi-media performance, photo Miami, Miami
- "Like Tears in Rain," Gibbes Museum, Charleston, SC
- "Hit Me with Your Rhythm Stick," multi-media performance, Flow Art Fair, Miami, FL
- "Like Tears in Rain," Claire Oliver Gallery, New York, NY
- "Behind the Vertical," Hermes, New York Flagship Store. Site-specific installation, NY
- "Dance Theatre Workshop," New York, NY (part of Captured, curated by Maya Ciarrocchi)
- "Rules of Engagement," multi-media performance, New York, NY (In collaboration with choreographer JoAnna Mendl Shaw)
- "One-on-One," Contemporary Art Galleries: Storrs, University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT
- "Janet Biggs: Norms and Forms," Paley and Levy Galleries, Moore College of Art and Design, Philadelphia, PA
- Rhode Island School of Design Museum, Providence, RI
- "New Video," Solomon Projects, Atlanta, GA
- "Risperidone," Herbert F. Johnson Museum, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY
- Team Gallery, New York, NY
- "Verge," Plains Art Museum, Fargo, ND (catalogue)
- "Flight and Buspar," Western Washington University, Bellingham, WA
- "Flight," The Contemporary Arts Center, Cininnati, OH
- "BuSpar," Solomon Projects, Atlanta, GA
- "Flight," Exra and Cecile Zikha Gallery, Wesleyan University, Middletown, CT
- "Up Downs," John Michael Kohler Arts Center, Sheboygan, WI (catalogue)
- "Water Training," Everson Museum of Art, Syracuse, NY
- "Competition Training: Water Training," Park 4-D TV, Amsterdam, Holland
- "Water Training," Solomon Projects, Atlanta, GA
- "Water Training," Anna Kustera Gallery, New York, NY
- "Girls and Horses," Chassie Post Gallery, New York, NY.
- Outdoor Installation, York College, City University of New York, Jamaica, NY.
[ SELECTED GROUP EXHIBITIONS ]
- Miami International Film Festival, included in "Cutting the Edge" category, Miami, FL
- Experimental Video and Synchcroswim, presented by The Rubell Family Collection + Conner Contemporary Art, Washington, DC
- "Chimera," curated by Chris bors and Ketta loannidou (Triton Gallery), Envoy Enterprises in N.Y., and Arcade Experimental Art Projects/Stoa Aeschylou in Nicosia, Cyprus.
- "Hollywould," Freewaves 11th Festival of Experimental Media Arts, Los Angeles, CA
- "Young Identities" (part of European Media Art Festival). Kunsthalle Dominikanerkirche, Osnabrueck, Germany
- "Water" Carroll Square Gallery, Washington, DC
- "Video Screenings," Sara Meltzer Gallery, New York City. Curated by Laura Parnes
- "Stone Canoe No. 2" Delavan Art Gallery, Syracuse University, Syracuse, New York
- "Keeping Up With the Jones," Schroeder Romero Gallery, New York City
- "Infinitu et Contini: Repeated Histories, Reinvented Resistances," Smack Mellon, Brooklyn, NY
- "Lumen Eclipse," outdoor video installation, Cambridge Square, Boston
- "Stop. Look. Listen: An Exhibition of Video Works," Herbert F. Johnson Museum of Art, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY
- "Antennae," Houston Center For Photography, Houston, TX
- "What F Word?," Cynthia Broan Gallery, New York City; Curated by Carol Cole Levin
- "Helios Oceanus," Curated by Lee Wells for M21—The Museum of 21st Century Art and The Scope Foundation, Gansevoort South, Miami Beach, FL
- Claire Oliver Gallery, New York, NY
- "Video Box," Weisspollack Gallery, New York, NY
- "METU Video Festival," Middle Eastern Technical University, Ankara, Turkey
- "Fathom," The Hatton Gallery, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, England
- "Tomorrow Was the Day Before," Scope London, Curated by Lee Wells
- "Artists Pick," Exhibition at Larissa Goldston Gallery, New York, NY
- "Dwellan - Lingering Images," Charlottenborg Exhibition Hall, Copenhagen, Denmark Video X, Momenta Art, Brooklyn, NY
- "PG-13: Male Adolescent Identity in Video Culture" (two person exhibition with Barbara Pollock), Ernest G. Welch School of Art & Design, Georgia State University, Atlanta, GA ; Diverse Works, Houston, TX (catalogue)
- "Home Grown," Linkopings Konsthall, Passagen, Sweden
- "Venden Varassa (Dominated by Water)," Vantaa Art Musuem, Finland
- "New York, New Work, Now!," Currier Gallery of Art , Manchester, NH
- "Aquaria (On the Interaction of Water and Human Being)," curated by Barbara Wally, Landesgalerie am Oberosterreichischen Landesmuseum, Linz, Austria; Kunstsammlungen, Chemnitz, Germany
- "H2O," curated by Jo Anna Isaak, Elaine L. Jacob Gallery, Western Gallery, Western Washington University, Bellingham, WA; Wayne State University, Detroit, MI; Houghton House Gallery, Hobart and William Smith Colleges, Geneva, NY; Danese Gallery, New York, NY
- "Residuum," Cheryl Pelavin Fine Art, New York, NY
- "Arrested Development: Contemporary Contemplations on Adolesence and Youth," Castle Gallery, The Collage of New Rochelle, New Rochelle, NY
- "Serious Fun," Castle Gallery, The College of New Rochelle
- "Objects in the Mirror are Closer than they Appear," Team Gallery, New York, NY
- "Horse Tales: Two Centuries of American Cultural Icons," Katonah Museum of Art, Katonah, NY (forthcoming)
- "Objects that Flicker," Solomon Projects, Atlanta, GA
- "human/nature," curated by Jane Harris, Caren Golden Fine Art, NY
- "Horse Show," Site Gallery, Sheffield, England
- "Six Signals," Cheekwood Art Museum, Nashville, TN
- "Here Kitty, Kitty," Nexus Contemporary Art Center, Atlanta, GA
- "Object Lessons: selections from the Robert J. Shiffler Foundation," curated by Annegreth Nill, Columbus Museum of Art, Columbus, OH
- "The Comforts of Home," Hand Workshop Art Center, Richmond, VA
- "Trace," Flipside Gallery, Brooklyn, NY
- "BuSpar," (project room installation, part of Horse Play), Real Art Ways, Hartford, CT
- "Zingmagazine," Video Project, Basel Art Fair, Basel, Switzerland
- Flip Side Gallery, curated by Nurit Newman, Brooklyn, NY
- "Installation 7: Conceptual Art, 1989-1995," curated by Barry Rosenberg, Cheekwood Museum of Art, Nashville, TN
- "Girls and Horses" (project room installation, part of Family/PostFamily, m.a.p.: media art project 1997), Vantaa City Museum, Finland (catalog)
- "Presumed Innocence," Anderson Gallery, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA. Curated by Jean Crutchfield.
- "The Gaze," Momenta Art, Brooklyn NY
- "Embedded Metaphor," Independent Curators Incorporated, New York, NY. Curated by Nina Felshin. (Travelling through 1998).
- "Kickstart," Anna Kustera Gallery, New York, NY
- "Romper Room," Thread Waxing Space, New York, NY
- "Separating Self: Art About Identity from the Robert J. Shiffler Collection." New Harmony Gallery of Contemporary Art, New Harmony, IN.
- New Harmony Gallery of Contemporary Art, New Harmony, IN
- "Incestuous," Thread Waxing Space, New York, NY. Curated by Carter Kustera.
- "B.A.B.Y., " Virginia Beach Center for the Arts, Virginia Beach, VA.
- "Home Bodies," LaSalle Partners at Nations Bank Plaza, Charlotte, NC. Organized by Joyce Pomeroy Schwartz.
- "Subversive Domesticity," Edward A. Ulrich Museum of Art. Wichita State University, KS. Curated by Dana Self.
- "This End Up: Selections from the Collection of Robert J. Shiffler," University of Wyoming, WY. (Travels to South Dakota Art Museum, Brookings, SD).
- "Installation," Islip Art Museum, Islip, NY.
- Galleria Civica di Padova, Italy. Curated by Teresa Macri and Francesca Alfano Miglietti.
- "Wary Still," Highways Exhibition Space, Santa Monica, CA.
- "Night Light Room (Project room installation, part of Family Ties show)," P.P.O.W. Gallery, New York, NY.
- "Riddle of the Sphinx," Islip Art Museum, Islip, NY.
- "Forms of Address," San Francisco Art Institute, San Francisco, CA.
- "Some Like It Hot," Jack Shainman Gallery, New York, NY.
- "Janet Biggs, Dan Devine, Katie Merz," Ty Ming Moy Gallery, New York City.
- "Regional Identity and Cartography Representation," Pigorini, Rome, Italy. Curated by Teresa Macri and Lucilla Meloni.
- "Caught Between Mind (Urge) and Body," AIR Gallery, New York, NY.
- Josh Baer Gallery, New York, NY.
- The Rag Trade, The InterArt Center, New York, NY. Organized by Saul Ostrow.
- "Giochi nell'acqua," Rome, Italy. Organized by Teresa Macri and Myriam Laplante.
- "The Exquisite Corpse," The Drawing Center, New York, NY.
- "Beau Dommage," Jack Shainman Gallery, New York, NY.
- "Fall From Fashion," Aldrich Museum of Contemporary Art, Ridgefield, CT.
- "From the Collection of Robert J. Shiffler," Cincinnati Contemporary Art Center, Cincinnati, OH.
- "I Am the Enunciator," Thread Waxing Space, New York, NY. Curated by Christian Leigh.
- "Peter Pan," Dooley Le Cappellaine Gallery, New York, NY.
- "Dolls in Art: A Metaphor of Personal Identity," Patrick and Beatrice Haggerty Museum of Art, Milwaukee, WI
- Josh Baer Gallery, New York, NY.
- "Painting," Procter Art Center, Bard College, Annandale-on-Hudson, NY. Curated by Steven Salzman.
- Kunsthall New York City. Curated by Christian Leigh.
- White Columns Gallery, New York, NY.
- "Water Bar," Jack Tilton Gallery, New York, NY. Organized by Erik Oppenheim.
- Benefit Show, Sculpture Center, New York, NY. Curated by Muranushi-Lederman.
- "Shared Skin: Sub-Social Identifiers," Dooley Le Cappellaine Gallery, New York, NY. Organized by Janet Biggs. Catalog.
- "Value Show," Dooley Le Cappellaine Gallery, New York, NY. Organized by Dooley Le Cappellaine, Muranushi-Lederman, Kathleen Cullen, Robert Mahoney.
- John Post Lee Gallery, New York, NY.
- Berland Hall Gallery, New York, NY.
- Four Walls, Brooklyn, New York.
- "Membership Has Its Privileges," Lang & O'Hara Gallery, New York, NY.
- Levy Gallery, Moore College of Art, Philadelphia, PA.
- Nexus Gallery, Philadelphia, PA.
- Zoller Gallery, Penn State University, University Park, PA.
- "Second Thought," Momenta Gallery, Philadelphia. Organized by Janet Biggs. Catalog.
- "Altered Sites (Outdoor Sculpture)." Fairmount Park, Philadelphia, PA. Catalog.
- 15 Artists. Nexus Gallery, Philadelphia. Curated by Marsha Tucker.
- 10 Year Challenge Anniversary, Fleisher Art Memorial, Philadephia, PA.
- "Made in Philadelphia 7," Institute of Contemporary Art, Philadelphia, PA. Catalog.
[ SELECTED BIBLIOGRAPHY ]
Finch, Charlie: Groundhog's Diary. Artnet, 13 February 2009.
Conner, Jill: Janet Biggs at Claire Oliver Fine Art (Review of Vanishing Point). Art Quips, 9 January 2009.
"Janet Biggs." Review of Vanishing Point. New Yorker, 22 February 2009.
This Week in New York, 21 January 2009.
Fester, Felicia: Review of Tracking Up at Nancy Solomon Gallery. Art Papers, July/August 2008.
Greer, Larissa Erin: "On the Right Track: Video artist Janet Biggs gaining wider exposure." The Sunday Paper, July 13-19, 2008.
Kurzner, Lisa: "Videos explore adolescents' accomplishments." Atlanta Journal-Constitution, 6 June 2008.
Review of Airs Above the Ground at the European Media Arts Festival. Regioartline Kunstamagazin, 4 May 2008.
Review of Airs Above the Ground at the European Media Arts Festival. mosquto, April 2008.
Review of Airs Above the Ground at the European Media Arts Festival. Hannoversche Allgemeine Zeitung, 23 April 2008.
Review of Airs Above the Ground at the European Media Arts Festival. Kunst Raum Münster, April-June 2008.
Review of Airs Above the Ground at the European Media Arts Festival. kunst:stück, April 2008.
Kasper, Chris: "Infinitu et Contini: Repeated Histories, Reinvented Resistances." Art Papers, March/April 2008.
Diack, Heather: "Sign Language as Politics." Afterimage, Vol. 35, No. 5., March/April 2008.
"Medienkunstfestivalim Zeichen der Jugend." Mindener Tageblatt, 28 April 2008.
Jenks, Debra: "Pulp Friction - Artists explore the underside of American culture." Chelsea Now, 14 December 2007.
"Keeping up with the Jones." Review of show at Schroeder Romero gallery, The New Yorker, 24 December, 2007.
Maschal, Richard: "Newly Minted: Private collectors lend their modern treasures as Mint museum starts a quest for living artists." Charlotte Observer, 19 October 2007.
"Sport and Spectacle," Artkrush online magazine. 8 August 2007.
Pool, Olivia: "First in State. Gibbes acquires first S.C. video art installation." The Post and Courier, 26 July 2007.
Ashley, Dottie: "Like Tears in Rain. Citadel's Summerall Guards part of first video exhibit at Gibbes." The Post and Courier, 22 July, 2007.
Ludwin, Torie: Review of Antennae. artshouston magazine, June 2007.
Smith, Nick: "Future Noir: Janet Biggs mixed documentary shots for art's sake at the Gibbes." Charleston City Paper, 02 May 2007.
Yale, Madeline: Antennae (review of group show at Houston Center for Photography). Spot Magazine, Summer 2007.
Byrd, Cathy: "Janet Biggs." Contemporary, March, 2007.
Perez, Magdalen: Review of show at Claire Oliver Gallery. ARTNews, February
Li, Zhen: "Equestrians in Show Windows." Vision Magazine, Beijing, China, October
Matsumae, Ayano: "Janet Biggs" (review of Like Tears in Rain, Claire Oliver Gallery, New York). Nile Magazine (Japan). December
"Janet Biggs." Review of show at Claire Oliver Gallery. The New Yorker, December 4
Matsumae, Ayano: "Janet Biggs" (review of Behind the Vertical at Hermès, New York ). Nile Magazine (Japan). November
Carr, Amanda: "Artist's Windows at Hermès, New York." Visual Merchandising, September 29
Perez, Magdalen, "Nearby Explosion Adds Extra Drama to Video Installation at Hermès," Artinfo, August 11
Pollack, Barbara. "Horseplay." ArtNews
Dunning, Jennifer: "A Horse and Dancers in an Ode to Interspecies Ties." New York Times, October 10
Lille, Dawn: "Rules of Engagement: Dancers and a Horse." Art Times, December
Marshall, Lea: Rules of Engagement review. Dance Magazine, November
Tobias, Tobi: "Rules of Engagement." New York Village Voice, November 1
Anderson, Jack: Rules of Engagement review. New York Times, October 14
Pollock, Barbara: "Moonlight Sonata." ARTNews, September
Gavin, Francesca: "Drowning in Newcastle." BBC online, July 21
Jones, Sarah: review of Fathom. Metro (Newcastle, UK), July 8
Whetstone, David: "Sound Creation for World of the Deep," The Journal (Newcastle, UK), July 2
Duff, Helen: Fathom review. Metro (Newcastle, UK), June 30
Pohl, Eva: Videopoesi på hojt niveau." Berlingske (Copenhagen), November 11
Hornung, Peter Michael: "Nėr billedet dvler." Politiken (Copenhagen), November 9
Tommelleo, Donna: "Former UConn Players' Drills Become a Work of Art," New York Newsday, November 27;
Boston Globe, November 27;
San Francisco Chronicle, November 27;
Sports Illustrated, November 27;
Stanford Advocate, November 27;
Ms. Magazine Online, November 27
Sozanski, Edward J.: "Bodies in Motion." Philadelphia Inquirer, December
Streitfeld, L.P., "The Power Of UConn's Women On Display." Hartford Courant, December
Faingold, Scott. "Teenage Wasteland- Two artists ask how boys become men in a videocracy," Houston Press, March 11
Pollack, Barbara: "H20." Time Out New York, August 7-14
Hirsch, Faye. "Janet Biggs at Herbert F. Johnson Museum of Art," Art in America, July, p.99
Sohl, Lena. "USA underytan (USA Under the Surface)," Stockholm Aftonbladet
Ulmonen, Anu. "Syväsukellus mieleen ja ruumiiseen" (Deep Dive Into Mind and Body). Helsinki Sanomat, January 18
Ripatti-Torniainen, Leena. "Janet Biggs in uimari liikkuu kuin unessa" (Janet Biggs' swimmer moves as if in a dream). Vantaan Sanomat, January 19
Höll, Von Andreas. "Aquaria - Über die auþergewöhnliche Beziehung von Wasser und Mensch." Deutschland Radio Berlin, 5 May 2002
Lombardi, D. Dominick. "Review of "Arrested Development: Contemporary Contemplations on Adolescence and Youth," Castle Gallery, the College of New Rochelle. New York Times, March 3, 2002
Dimling-Cochran, Rebecca. "Objects That Flicker: Artists' Video for the Home," Sculpture, June, Vol. 20, No. 5, pgs. 66 - 67
Byrd, Cathy. "Janet Biggs, Solomon Projects," Sculpture, June, Vol. 19, No.5, p. 70-71
Byrd, Cathy. "Horse of a Different Color," Creative Loafing, February 5, Vol. 28, No. 38, p. 37
Feaster, Felicia. "Whipped," Creative Loafing, January 29, Vol. 28, No. 37, p. 37-38
Cullum, Jerry. "Emotional Equestrianism," The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, January 21, p. Q8
Pollack, Barbara. "The Mane Event," ARTNews, November, Vol. 98, No. 10
Damsker, Matthew. "Horsing Around at Real Art Ways," Hartford Courant, Saturday, October 2
Auslander, Philip. "Janet Biggs: Water Training," Art Papers, March/ April
Mahoney, Robert. "Janet Biggs at Chassie Post," Artnet Magazine
Forrest, Jason A. "Learning to Ask Questions," The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, October 24
Byrd, Cathy. "Spare Changes," Creative Loafing, October 11, 1997
"Girls and Horses, A project by Janet Biggs," zingmagazine, Autumn/Winter
Schwendener, Martha. "Girls and Horses," Art Papers, May/June.
Hess, Elizabeth. "It Takes a Village," Village Voice, March 26.
Halle, Howard. "Girls and Horses," Time Out New York, March 20.
Levin, Kim. "Girls and Horses," Village Voice, April 9.
Shannon, Angela. "Exhibit Explores Right of Passage." Charlotte Observer, Sunday, March 31.
Tanner, Marsha. Review of show at San Francisco Art Institute. Art Issues, November.
DiGenova, Arianna. "Figure Erranti Oltre la Mappa del Identital Correnti." nmanifesto(Rome, Italy), June 15.
Rossi,Leena-Maija. "LappsuudenIoppu." HelsinginSanomat, Lauantaina 29, Tammikuuta.
Heartney, Eleanor. "Elizabeth Berdann and Janet Biggs at Josh Baer." Art in America, May.
Hartcollis, Anemona. "A Body of Work." New York Newsday. February 15.
Nublar, Isla. "Ragazze Terribili." Virus (Milan, Italy). January.
Calpini, Chiara. Review of Giochi Nell'Acqua. Next (Rome, Italy), Winter.
Flash Art News, Roma, "Giochi Nell' Acqua," Flash Art, October.
Levin, Kim. "Voices Choices," Review of show at Josh Baer Gallery. Village Voice, December 28.
DiCenova, Arianna. Review of Giochi Nell Acqua. Titolo. (Perugia, Italy), August.
Merkling,Frank. "Unstylish In 'Fashion' at Aldridge." New York Times, Sunday June 13.
Raynor, Vivien. "What do Clothes Mean to the Artist Anyway?" New York Times, Sunday, June 13.
[ SELECTED PUBLIC COLLECTIONS ]
The Herbert F. Johnson Museum, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY
The Robert J. Schiffler Collection and Foundation, Dayton, OH
Philadelphia Electric Company, Philadelphia, PA